6 Signs Your Spark Plugs Need to be Replaced
If you are having difficulty starting your car, you may need to replace the spark plugs and ignition wires. Here are six signs that indicate you need to get to a mechanic.
What are the Spark Plugs and Ignition Wires Doing?
Your vehicle's plugs, wires, and other high-voltage components provide the spark that causes internal combustion in your car's engine.
- The wires carry electricity from the ignition coil or distributor to the plugs.
- This causes them to produce a spark, igniting the fuel / oxygen mixture and driving the pistons.
- The pistons provide the power needed to turn the wheels and move the vehicle.
Over time, unburned gas and oil create a build-up of carbon on your car's spark plugs, which can decrease your vehicle's engine performance and make cold starting more difficult.
How Long do Spark plugs and Ignition Wires Last?
Spark plugs typically have a life expectancy of around 45,000 km. Ignition wires can last twice as long.
- Like other parts of your car, these numbers can vary depending on how you drive and how the spark plugs and ignition wires are maintained.
- It's a good idea to have them checked, cleaned or changed as needed as part of a regular maintenance plan for your car .
Repair or Replace Spark Plugs and Ignition Wires?
If you're not keeping track of your mileage, here are some signs that your spark plugs or ignition wires may need to be repaired or replaced:
- Engine Runs Rough When Empty - The sound of your car's engine should be constant. If your vehicle's engine is making more noise than usual, you should have it checked by a qualified mechanic .
- You have Trouble Starting your Car in the Morning - Dirty spark plugs and damaged wires make it difficult or impossible to provide the spark needed to start the engine. They can even drain your battery power. If your car is difficult to start in the morning, you should have your plugs and wires checked by a qualified mechanic.
- Your Car's Engine Misfires - Carbon deposits on your car's spark plugs can cause one or more cylinders to misfire, resulting in poor performance.
- Engine Surge or Hesitation - Power surges and hesitation are signs that your car's engine is running inefficiently. They can be very dangerous if they occur while you are in traffic. If you experience this problem, have your vehicle checked by a professional mechanic immediately.
- High Fuel Consumption - The wear of deteriorated spark plugs can increase fuel consumption by up to 30%. If you notice that you are filling the gas tank more often than usual, you may need to have your spark plugs changed.
- Lack of Acceleration - A sluggish engine can usually be easily repaired by installing new spark plugs.
Maintaining your car without breaking the bank is possible. It is important to check the condition of your vehicle's spark plugs and ignition wires, and replace them if necessary. If your vehicle has any of the problems listed above, have it checked by a certified mechanic.